SCI is a membership organisation and registered charity with individual members in over 70 countries.
A Conference Organiser is sought to work within a small team who currently organise up to 50 conferences per year.
These relate to industry sectors as diverse as food and agriculture, pharmaceuticals, environmental science and safety.
Working with volunteer committees, the Conference Organiser will need to organise successful, high quality fee paying conferences for SCI Members and Non-Members in the UK.
Conference organisation (80%)
- Preparing and managing the conference budget and advising of any potential financial risks
- Adding conference information to the website and activating for online bookings (training provided)
- Production of postcards/flyers using Adobe indesign templates and subsequent proofreading (training on Adobe indesign provided)
- Arranging printing of postcards and flyers and hard copy mailings (as appropriate)
- Working with the committee to promote the event to their networks/collaborators (as required)
- Using all SCI marketing channels for promotion – mailings, e-alerts and website
- Using own initiative to find other free sources for marketing conferences
- Liaison with speakers for registration, accommodation/dinners and collection of appropriate documentation (abstracts, biographies and presentations)
- Liaison with sponsors/exhibitors, raising invoices and chasing payments as appropriate
- Managing call for papers and posters and timescales/deadlines associated with these
- Preparing documentation for delegate packs – programme, delegate list, abstracts etc.
- Liaison with venue for room set up, catering, audio visual, poster board hire, etc.
- Registering delegates/speakers at the event and overseeing the delegate experience
- Co-ordinating the event on the day(s) and troubleshooting as required
- Co-ordinating colleagues assisting with the event on the day(s)
- Obtaining approvals and uploading speaker presentations to SCI website (if applicable)
Committee Support (20%)
- Overall support of several SCI technical interest groups
- Dealing with queries, loading documents to the group pages, processing expense claim forms, managing AGMs, booking meeting rooms (arranging catering as required), building relationships with the committee and attending committee meetings
Knowledge, skills and experience required for this position
- Conference/events graduate or related degree (desirable)
- Understanding and experience in conference organisation (minimum 1 years experience) for fee paying conferences (organising conferences for a charity/membership organisation desirable)
- Experience of working with volunteers/committees (desirable)
- Strong organisational, communication/customer service skills and ability to work within a team
- High level of computer literacy, in particular with Microsoft Office Suite; preferably databases
- High aptitude for spelling and grammar with accuracy in data entry and proof-reading
- Ability and willingness to work both individually and as a member of a team
- Ability to plan, multitask and act on own initiative
How to apply
Please apply by sending your CV and a covering letter detailing your conference experience and relevance to the position. Closing date: Thursday 19 October 2017
Apply for Conference Organiser
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly