DesignScene is an international creative production agency with offices in London, New York and Los Angeles. We produce a broad range of creative projects directly with current clients including Amazon, ITV, Hulu, Snapchat, Oath, Molton Brown, Advertising Week, Medialink and Shutterstock
Our focus is creativity with a practical head – we offer creative solutions for our clients that fit within budget and within brief and are always looking to push creative boundaries, try new products, processes and materials and create industry talking points
Projects include brand activations, exhibitions, launches, experiential, pop-ups, gala dinners and high-end private events in the UK, US and Europe
Our team is made up of a group of over 25 hard working, insightful, creative and fun professionals ranging from 3D, graphic and video designers, producers and project managers. Our head office is in Farringdon, London with satellite offices in New York and Santa Monica
We are looking for a Production director who can bring their experience and qualities to enhance our already talented team. They will need to be hands on to lead and deliver high profile large projects and manage a team of production manager. They will need to work efficiently across multiple projects with both clients and team members spread across multiple time zones in Europe and the USA
The values we must deliver on, and you must possess as a candidate, are:
We are a small team so support each other, multi task and are ‘all hands-on deck’ when required
What is the purpose of the job?
- Leadership of the production team (US and UK), assisting them with their projects and giving them direction when assisting on your projects
- Maintaining the high production values of DesignScene and its impeccable reputation
- Provide day to day management of a team technical production managers
- Lead larger projects within the company with support from the rest of the project team
- The planning, execution, and closing of any project from initial brief to execution on site for projects where you are the lead and ensuring team do the same with their projects
- Responsibility for planning and delivery of all technical production across the production team in UK and US
- Managing the scope of the project through the triple constraints of cost, time, and quality for own projects and ensuring team do the same on their projects
- Contracting and managing appropriate external suppliers
What do you have to achieve?
Effective management the production team and ensure deliver on all aspects of the role as detailed below as well as work in the same way to deliver own projects when lead TD/Production manager:
- Co-ordinate the on-site execution of projects including set-ups and de-rigs
- Conduct site surveys and obtain or commission detailed CAD drawings as required
- Conduct relevant research and take part in creative brainstorms with the team
- To ensure all deadlines, both internal and client led, are met
- Efficient production management from design to delivery
- Ensure effective storage management
- Management of deliveries and collections including load-lists
- Effective and cost-efficient supplier management
- To ensure that the brief has been met
- Efficient working across international teams and time zones
- Satisfied clients
Job Activities – what do you have to do?
- Liaise with relevant stakeholders to obtain project brief and agree best way forward
- Communicate regularly with internal team to ensure they are up to date and fully engaged
- Ensure regular team briefings to ensure focus is maintained on the project and the team are geared up to deliver scope of project
- In situations of ambiguity manage and mitigate risk by maintaining open channels of communication, ensuring that all stakeholders voice opinions and concerns.
- Manage the costing, tendering and engagement process where suppliers are involved
- Present budgets and proposals to internal team and agree sign off process
- Produce detailed plan for the delivery of the project as appropriate
- Manage the production aspects of the final delivery, including on site client liaison
- Have debriefs with the team to understand issues and take forward any learning
- Use experience and knowledge to research and suggest solutions such as products, suppliers, technology etc.
- Plan ahead in terms of managing time zone differences across international teams (Clients and colleagues)
- Work closely with the Managing Director to understand vision and direction of business and translate this into business goals
- Manage the H&S process in terms of collating supplier information and contracting H&S specialists if needed
- Have debriefs with client to understand issues and take forward any learning
- Line management of the production team
- Support and mentor line reports to ensure continuous development of the individuals
What are the skills required?
- Line management experience
- Understanding of production technology, creative and design and ability to recognise and acknowledge suitable products and suppliers
- A flexible approach with the ability to multi task (run more than one event at once)
- Proven time management skills
- Work under pressure and deal with ambiguity
- Clear communication and excellent inter-personal skills
- Excellent planning and organising skills
- The ability to identify and manage risk
- Quick thinking & analytical
- An eye for detail
What technical knowledge do you need?
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of event and installation production technology, materials, construction techniques and best practice
- Knowledge of relevant health and safety legislation
- Competent use of Microsoft Office Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Apple Keynote and Cloud Computing Applications
- Ability to read and interpret CAD drawings. The use of VectorWorks a bonus
- Competent use of Google Apps, Microsoft Office, Apple Keynote, Dropbox and Slack
If this vacancy is of interest to you, then please apply now!