Events Assistant (Apprenticeship)
The Haymarket Skills Academy provides unparalleled opportunities in media. Our award winning apprenticeships are a fantastic way to gain industry experience whilst also receiving an accredited qualification. As part of our next intake of apprentices we are now looking for an Events Assistant to join our Conferences team.
The Role & The Team
Haymarket’s Events team are responsible for organising events & conferences throughout the year across a number of different industries. We are experts in what we do and we are looking for an apprentice to join the Events team to ensure our clients and audiences are kept up to date with current trends and industry news.
You will work as part of the operations team reporting to the Senior Events Manager who, along with the Assistant Event Managers, will train, support and direct your workload. The role is very diverse, it is hard work but also fun! The position is based in Twickenham although there may be occasions when some out of hours work is necessary, especially around the build up to the events.
Why work with us?
People are our greatest asset here at Haymarket Media Group. We pride ourselves on being the best specialist media company in the world and we’re hard-wired to produce brilliant content for our readers and event attendees, with over 16,000 companies around the globe turning to us to help their businesses grow. Join us and you will work on market-leading brands to help create powerful and lasting relationships that deliver real results, all while developing your own career.
As part of your apprenticeship you’ll not only receive a qualification but also gain valuable on the job experience. You will also have the opportunity to attend Haymarket’s in-house, specialist training sessions to aid you further in your role. Since 2014 over 75% of our apprentices have started in permanent positions after completing their apprenticeship.
Our working culture
Our team culture is friendly, vibrant and sociable. We have just as much fun after hours, too - be it drinks with colleagues, awards ceremonies, sports teams, or our infamous annual Haymarket Awards. There is a relaxed vibe in our offices and we give you the tools to work flexibly, move around our environment freely and collaborate with your colleagues.
What you will learn:
- Assisting with on-site event management, registration, speaker liaison, venue liaison (Ensuring the highest standards of delegate, sponsor and speaker care)
- Assisting with sponsor liaison (chasing outstanding deliverable items)
- Assisting with speaker liaison (chasing presentations, biographies and photos)
- Printing badges
- Preparing event crates pre-event
- Venue and other supplier research
- Liaison with all other teams and departments where necessary.
- Post event admin and other ad hoc admin tasks. (Including but not limited to delegate thank you emails, speaker feedback collation for the CP, sponsorship packs, no shows and name changes, venue feedback, collection and processing of invoices)
- Assisting with taking incoming phone enquiries
- Assisting with monitoring the conferences email inbox
- Chasing delegates for outstanding information (stream choices for example)
- Send delegate correspondence via our booking system Eventsforce
- Maintaining good working relationships with all teams
- Collation of delegate feedback, reporting and report writing
- Ordering and maintenance of event stock
- To support the HOO when required with ad hoc tasks
Who you are:
- Punctuality and organisation are critical in this role so you must be able to manage your time and workload.
- Excellent verbal and written communications
- Attention to detail is very important due to the amount of external promotional material will be needed.
- You will have achieved at least 5 GSCE’s at grades A-C (or equivalent), and will preferably have attained at least 2 A Levels (or equivalent) at Grades C or above.
- Previous experience of organising any social events will be hugely beneficial
- Understanding the priority of tasks with events and apprenticeship work
You will be expected to demonstrate the following competencies of attitude at all times:
- Ability to take constructive criticism and apply it positively
- Confidence and charisma
- Determination to succeed
- Discipline and hardworking
- Excellent personal standards including time-keeping and dress code on-site at events
- Maturity and versatility
- Pro-active, positive and ‘can do’ attitude
- Problem solving, self-motivation and initiative
- Professional at all times
- Being a team player
- Willingness to learn and take onboard new ideas
- Ability to work autonomously as well as part of a team
- Positive approach towards team members/employees
- Going the “Extra mile” to succeed/achieve. Willingness to help others
Other things to know…
- We are based in Twickenham, which is a quick 20 minutes from central London, and easy access from Surrey.
- The Apprenticeship Scheme is based on a Fixed Term Contract, between 12 - 24months (depending on role/qualification)
- You get to Earn as you Learn! - We offer a competitive starting salary of £15,000pa. The apprenticeship qualification is covered and paid for by Haymarket as part of the Apprenticeship Levy scheme.
- We work a 35 hour, full time week, with the option of Flexible Working hours and support a friendly, creative and collaborative culture, reflected in our open-plan working environment.
- Benefits include: 25 days Holiday, rising by 1 day per year up to 30 days, Pension,, Life Assurance, Health Cash Plan/Private Medical Insurance, plus voluntary benefits such as Ride to Work, Season ticket loans, Gym and Health lifestyle rewards and discounts on the highstreet.
Come and join us and see for yourself how Haymarket’s events division is a rewarding, exciting and fun place to work!