We are recruiting for a Venue Manager
We are Nesta, the UK’s innovation agency for social good. We design, test and scale solutions to society’s biggest problems. Our three missions are to give every child a fair start, help people live healthy lives, and create a sustainable future where the economy works for both people and the planet.
For over 20 years, we have worked to support, encourage and inspire innovation. We work in three roles: as an innovation partner working with frontline organisations to design and test new solutions, as a venture builder supporting new and early stage businesses, and as a system shaper creating the conditions for innovation.
Harnessing the rigour of science and the creativity of design, we work relentlessly to change millions of lives for the better. Find out more at nesta.org.uk.
Nesta events help to strengthen the organisation’s relationships with multiple stakeholders and build on Nesta’s reputation as a thought leader, convener and expert voice on innovation. This role supports the delivery of Nesta’s strategy through the end-to-end management and support of a portfolio of both live and digital events, and by securing speaking platforms for Nesta staff at external events.
The postholder will also deliver the day to day operation of the venue spaces and successful management of meetings and events for Nesta, building tenants and external clients.
- Lead and project manage assigned events, including but not limited to venue liaison, project planning, budgeting, logistics, supplier management (catering, AV and production, etc.), attendee registration, on-site event management, post-event analysis and reconciliation
- Ensure maximum utilisation of 58VE event spaces, through marketing and selling the space to external clients
- Manage the work of event contractors, ensuring the highest standards of service
- Implement, maintain and develop all systems, processes and procedures relevant to events.
- Show care and due diligence to all financial, legal aspects of running 58VE and be responsible for the safe running of own events, ensuring clear knowledge of health and safety requirements including the completion of comprehensive risk assessments (in particular with face to face events, a stringent COVID-secure RA and event management policy)
- Organise and maintain records for Maintenance Services
- Act as point of contact for company departments and contractors ensuring lines of communication are maintained and regularly monitored – such as email, mail, telephone and helpdesk.
- General health and safety duties including risk assessments, contractor monitoring and other statutory and not statutory site requirements.
- Attend training and course as directed by the Group.
- Proactively work towards promoting a sense of pride in the department.
- Answer all department emails in a timely manner and ensuring the inbox is managed correctly
- Any other reasonable request from the Senior Management Team
- Experienced event and sales professional
- Track record of developing strong commercial relationships
- Demonstrable experience in event management and operational delivery with successful track record of creating, project managing and delivering a range of events of varying scale and scope
- Demonstrable experience of procuring, negotiating with, and managing internal and external suppliers and stakeholders
- Demonstrable experience of providing expert advice on all matters relating to events
- IOSH Managing Events Safely certification (desirable)
- Demonstrable understanding of purchasing, invoicing & procurement processes
Skills and personal attributes
- Excellent written and spoken communication abilities
- A smart and professional appearance with a polite, courteous and professional manner
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- The ability to work under pressure
- The drive to work pro-actively independently and as part of a team
- Communication style that allows positive and open dialogue with clients and employees
- Working style that encourages team-work both within the role and across business functions Collaborative working spirit that enhances and builds effective working relationships both internally and externally.
- The ability to multi-task effectively and prioritise workload Well organised with excellent attention to detail/accuracy/prioritisation
- A good understanding of the distribution business would be an advantage
- A ‘can do’ attitude using own initiative, innovative and self-motivated
- Accurate, diligent, self-motivated, focussed, reliable and autonomous
- An appreciation of clear and exact communication of detail
- An ability to anticipate expectations and resolve issues
What we offer
Salary: £53,000 - £66,000 (offers are expected to be made towards the bottom of the band) plus array of benefits, including private medical insurance, dental insurance, the ability to buy and sell annual leave, eyecare vouchers and more
Location: This role is based in Blackfriars, Central London, hybrid working arrangement with a minimum of two days in the office
Hours: This is a full-time role but we offer a range of flexible working arrangements and encourage our people to take advantage of them. Many do.
Reports to: Director of Property
Making an application
To apply for this role, please submit your application before 08:00am on the 27th of November 2023.
Interviews will take place w/c 4th December 2023.
At Nesta, we believe that a diverse workforce leads to an organisation that is more innovative, more creative and gets better results.
We want our workforce to represent the diversity of the people and communities we serve. We also want our workplace to be one where different experiences, expertise and perspectives are valued, and where everyone is encouraged to grow and develop.
This means that when we are recruiting, we actively seek to reach a diverse pool of candidates. It also means that we are happy to consider any reasonable adjustments that potential employees may need to in order to be successful.
We recognise the importance of a good balance between work and home life, so we do everything we can to accommodate flexible working, including working from home, compressed or part-time hours, job shares and other arrangements.
Please just let us know in your application or at any stage throughout the process (and beyond) if these are options you’d like to explore.